Sports Massage Delray Beach | Importance of Sports Massage Therapy
June 5, 2019
Sports massage isn’t just about relaxation and promoting pain relief. It can also help prevent injury and improve performance. For weightlifters, racquet sports players, runners, and cyclists, their sports routine can be repetitive. Sports massage Delray Beach help release muscle tension, improve muscle balance, and promote tissue repair.
Three Basic Forms of Sports Massage Delray Beach
- Pre-Event Massage – Is done to help prevent serious athletic injury. It helps warm up the muscles, making them flexible and stretching them for optimal performance. This massage stimulates the blood flow and nutrients to the muscles, loosens the muscles, produces the feeling of psychological readiness, and ease muscle tension.
- Post-Event Massage – This helps reduce the swelling caused by microtraumas; loosens tired, stiff muscles, promote blood flow to the muscles to remove lactic acid and waste build-up, maintain flexibility and reduces cramping. This also helps the athlete to recover faster and minimizes pulls, soreness, and strains.
- Maintenance Massage – This is done at least once a week as a regular part of the athletic program. It increases the flow of nutrients and blood to the muscles, loosens tissues, and helps reduce the development of scar tissue while improving flexibility and range of motion.
Benefits of Sports Massage
The goal of sports massage is to help athletes improve their performance, healing a sports-related injury, prevent injury, and speed up recovery time. Massage can be helpful for:
- Muscle pain and stiffness
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Muscle strain
- Muscle sprains
Before undergoing any forms of massage, it is best to seek advice from a qualified sports therapist or someone specializing in sports medicine. Individuals who are suffering from the following conditions should consult a physician before participating in a sports massage.
- Acute infectious disease
- Varicose veins
Risks of Sports Massage
Sports massage if applied correctly is safe and effective. If you’re looking for an accredited sports massage Delray Beach therapist, contact Basis Medical today to schedule an appointment.